Thursday 29 October 2009

Introducing... Mele

Mele has actually been mentioned on the pages of this blog before, albeit under a different pseudonym and style - Duncestep. Since then Krissy seems to have matured massively musically, with the tunes on his soundcloud showcasing a whole new 2step/dubstep/funky vibe to it. Since the Duncestep tunes we've posted up before, this sound has clearly evolved - I can hear hints of El-B and Roska in Dancer's percussion. This is clearly the right direction for Krissy, his tunes have already got radio play on Kiss and remix requests from the Count & Sinden. So it's an honour to have a quick interview with this producer, and a mix at the end.

SB: The tunes you made under the name Duncestep seem a lot different from your new material, what is the reason for your change in direction?


M: I found the whole fidget house thing really boring, and there's only so far you can go with it I think. Plus i was really getting into guys like Douster, L-vis 1990, Geeneus, Roska and guys like that, and I just thought it was such a fresh future sound. Fidget, with the exception of Bill Eff, Lee Mortimer and a couple others, just sounds dated right now, so i thought I'd stop. My new direction is more of a house/garage mashup thing, although I'm still into the really hard big basslines, which hopefully comes through in some of my newer tunes sometimes.

SB: Which producers and DJs are you feeling right now?

M: There is so much good music right now! Everyone's not sounding the same to a degree, its really exciting. L-vis 1990 is one of my favourite producers, plus he is helping me out with testing my tunes and giving me good advice. Douster is 100% doing his own thing and I just love his stuff. Who else... Mowgli, Bill Eff, Hot City, French Fries, the list goes on, loving alot of the stuff thats out now!

SB: What about your 5 favourite artists of all time

M: Liam Howlett/The Prodigy - First dance album I heard as I was a massive hip-hop head.

Switch / Solid Groove - He got me into house, an absolute legend!

Herve & Sinden - I still love their stuff, Sinden played one of my tunes on Kiss FM recently which was a proper dream!

Audio Bullys - I love their sound and I still play a lot of their old stuff whenever I play out.

DJ Premier - My favourite producer of all time, I'm a massive hip-hop fan! He's definitely influenced my style.


Enough chat, now for some tunes:





Latest tracks by krissymele
Gucci Vump - Sha! Shtil! (L-Vis 1990 Remix)
A1 Bassline - Girl Thing (Christian Martin Remix)
Doc Deneeka - Swine Flu
Greenkeepsers - Planet (Bill Eff Remix)
Crazy Cousinz - Bongo Jam (L-Vis 1990 & Bok Bok's refix)
Shab Ruffcut - New York
Balearic Soul - Ole (Dub Mix)
Jeff Doubleu - Woman
Rythem Rockerz - Rock the Disco(Jackinori CoCo dub)
Highbloo - Ouchhh !!!
Mele - Cranky
Chop Chop Chop Chop - Disco Chop
Diplo & Buraka Som Sistema - Inna De Ghetto (Remix)
Diplo - Blow Your Head (DJ Eli Remix)
Kry Wolf - Mucky
Speakerjunk - Outside
N.A.S.A - Gifted (Steve Aoki Remix)
L-Vis 1990 - United Groove

No comments:

Post a Comment