Monday 21 December 2009

SqueakyBleeps 002 - I Killed Kenny

Following on from our amazing first exclusive mix from Highbloo, whose pounding beats 50cl and Ouch!!! have been huge for many DJs and clubbers alike in the past 6 months; we are proud to present to you the new up and coming DJ/Production trio from Dartford in Kent... I Killed Kenny.

I Killed Kenny we're formed in the summer of 2009 by Dartford DJ and promoter, Seany Bizzle. He's run a huge live club night in Dartford for the last year or so called Dirty Pint, which I've happily DJ'd at and supported in the recent past. I caught up with Seany to find out what makes I Killed Kenny, tick and tock.
 

- So what exactly is I Killed Kenny and how did the project come about?
We're three lads - Seany, Barni, and Daryl. IKK exists because we all share a similar passion for dance music as a whole. Barni, and myself (Sean) have been djing for roughly 2 years, taking things pretty easy, just playing music for own enjoyment really. This project came about because Barni and I want to express ourselves in a different way from most of the other kids around here - There's plenty of local bands around, a few decent DJ's, but we aim to take it a step further. All three of us are music students, and it was at college where we discovered the talents of Daryl. He's a shit hot producer, making original beats for a couple of years now. Me and Barni are okay at sequencing and MIDI and all that jazz but he really has the ability to help push us forward with our material. We're a good team and although it's only early stages we've already got some pretty big plans for the future.
- A lot of people these days get too obsessed with trying to conform to a type of scene and particular sound... I Killed Kenny doesn't strike me as the kind, you seem too laid back for all that. So I guess, what's the aim with this venture?
I think diversity is an important thing for us. We love the dance scene and the culture that comes with it, but we're passionate about music as a whole. You can hear that from listening to our mixes and in our DJ sets, for me, there's nothing more satisfying than discovering a amazing remix of a massive pop or rock track produced by someone I've never heard of! So I guess, that's what we're aiming for, in the future I'd love someone to say "Wow, this track is sick - Who are these guys!?".
- Now this is your second mixtape, the follow up to a brilliant first may I add, but why do you wish to Kill Christmas?
Thank You! I would never literally wish to kill Christmas, but I work part-time in Clinton Cards - So I'm pretty sick of hearing the same 5 Christmas tracks, stuck on repeat, over and over since mid October. You can probably understand my frustration.
- Here's a curve-ball for you. Jack Beats or Foamo? and Why?
Now I would say this is a toughy because they're both immense. However, I have a massive soft spot for Foamo, it's difficult to comprehend that I've only known about Foamo for about 4 months. The first track that I heard was The Mystery Jets remix, featured in our Christmas mix, and it blew me away, since then I've been hooked. Obviously the other two might think differently, haha.
- Now you're quite a big name on the Dartford clubbing scene, what got you into DJ'ing and Promoting in the first place?
Well, it started a couple of years back, for some reason I decided to purchase a set of shitty Numark CDMix 1 or whatever they're called... To be honest they were an impulse buy, I just thought 'yeah, I'll have a go at that', so I did. Then shortly after a new 'indie-disco' club night opened up in town called Clockwork Monkey's. I became good mates with the promoters, told them I did a bit of DJing (never having even attempted to mix in my life before at this point), and then I grabbed myself a resident slot every week... Then a while after that I started running my ow nights and stuff. That's pretty much the story right there.
- Now most people don't know this, but legends Pete Tong and Mick Jagger were born and raised in Dartford. Front-man of the world's biggest band and one of the biggest DJs in the world... you've got a little bit to live up to don't you think?
Who knew Dartford was such a breeding ground for such talent eh? I guess it's about time Dartford had some fresh faces, the other two are getting on a bit now!?
- What can we expect to see from you guys in the future?
Like I say, we've got some big ideas, but as every DJ/band/artist knows it's not as simple to put them into action. As far as the near future goes, we'll be releasing You Bastards: Volume 2 very shortly. The Christmas mix is just a bit of an interlude, to keep us fresh and on our toes. After Volume 2 we're going gung-ho on working on our own material. Daryl doesn't know it yet, but we want to release an EP of entirely original tracks within the next 6 months...
- What does your ideal Christmas Day involve?
A massive hangover from Christmas Eve.
- Exactly what I like to hear! Thanks for talking to Squeaky Bleeps, and please keep in touch :).
Cheers, and a Happy Christmas from the IKK fam.

A thoroughly nice chap who's got his head screwed on right and understands exactly what the score is. I'm immensely happy to see people from my own local area making a name for themselves and trying out something fresh.

You can check out I Killed Kenny's first entry in their mix series You Bastards here, and keep up to date with everything they're up to, including news of this upcoming EP, which I hope becomes a serious reality; on their facebook here. I shall of course keep you posted also.




1. Fukkk Offf - More Than Friends (Congorock Remix)
2. David Guetta ft. Akon - Sexy Bitch (I Killed Kenny Remix)
3. Lee Mortimer & Foamo - Superman (Original Mix)
4. Two Fresh - Bhanga (Dan Aux Remix)
5. Mustard Pimp - Cherry ft. Kali (Mustard Pimp Dark Mix)
6. Calvin Harris - You Used To Hold Me (Laidback Luke Remix)
7. Britney Spears - 3 (Dirty Disco Youth Dub Remix)
8. Will Smith - Fresh Prince Of Bel Air (Mustard Pimp Remix)
9. Sidney Samson - Riverside (Peo De Pitte Re-Rub)
10. Ladybox, AC Slater & B. Rich - Cookies Fly (Original Mix)
11. Rusko - Woo Boost (Subskrpt Remix)
12. Fall Out Boy - I Don’t Care (Tommie Sunshine & Mightyfool Remix)
13. System Of Down - Chop Suey (Grooveduds Remix)
14. Double 99 - Rip Groove (Tim Delux Remix)
15. Steve Angello & Laidback Luke - Show Me Love ft. Robin S (AC Slater Mix)
16. I Killed Kenny - Something In The Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment